Visit The Seattle Museum of Pop Culture (formerly Experience Music Project Museum)
The Museum of Pop Culture is located on the campus of Seattle Center next to the Space Needle and actually has the Seattle Center Monorail running through the building! The MOPC is housed withing a 140,000 square foot building that takes up approximately 35,000 square feet of space. The unique style and shapes of the building may remind you of the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao or the Gehry Tower. That’s because the MPOC shares the same designer, Frank Gehry.With the world famous Space Needle right next door, the Museum of Pop Culture is part of the larger Seattle Center. You can plan multiple days to take in all the attractions and activities at the Seattle Center.
Museum of Pop Culture History
Since the MOPC was founded by Paul Allen in 2000 it has gone through a few changes. Formerly Known as Experience Music Project and and Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame, then the Experience Music Project Museum, the MOPC incorporates the Science Fiction Museum and the Science Fiction and Fantasy Hall of Fame.
- Sky Church features a 60 foot screen where you can see music performances and light shows
- Sound Lab is where you can play instruments, explore rock’n’roll in jam sessions with friends in soundproof rooms, ore event record your own song.
- Indie Game Revolution features twenty single and multiplayer games good for the whole family.
- Guitar Gallery: The Quest for Volume lets you follow the development of this defining piece of rock and roll. You’ll see 55 vintage, world-changing guitars dating back to the 1770s.
- Science Fiction and Fantasy – everything from a manuscript pages and the alien creature suit from alien to many items from the Star Trek universe.
- Nirvana: Taking Punk to the Masses – memorabilia from Nirvana celebrating the time that Seattle was more famous for Grunge music than for being “metro-natural”!
- Wild Blue Angel: Hendrix Abroad, 1966-1970 – follow Seattle’s famous Jimi Hendrix at the height of his fame.
- Hello! Exploring the Supercute World of Hello Kitty.
Museum of Pop Culture Location
325 5th Avenue N
General Inquiries: 206-770-2700
Box Office: 206-770-2702
Group Sales: 206-770-2776
The Museum is located in the Seattle Center adjacent to the Seattle Space Needle and Pacific Science Center.
- Information: www.mopop.org
- Find Hours, Maps, Directions
- About the Experience Music Project Building
- Best Deal: Buy the Seattle CityPASS including the Museum of Pop Culture at a savings of up to 45%