Must See In Tacoma Washington State
Tacoma is named after Mount Rainier which dominates the eastern skyline. Mount Rainier was originally called Mount Takhoma or Mount Tahoma. Located in Pierce County just south of Seattle, Tacoma is known as the “City of Destiny” due to it’s deep-water harbor at Commencement Bay and because it was picked to be the western terminus for the Northern Pacific Railroad at the end of the 19th century. The Port of Tacoma is Washington State’s largest port.
There are many must see attractions in Tacoma Washington. Not only the ever present Mount Rainier but also many museums and the Point Defiance Zoo.
Tacoma Washington Attractions
Museum of Glass – 1801 Dock Street Tacoma, WA 98402-3217. Phone: 253-284-4750
The Museum of Glass is linked to the downtown shoreline of Tacoma by a pedestrian footbridge called the Bridge of Glass. It is a 500-foot bridge that is covered and decorated with artwork from Dale Chihuly. It crosses Interstate 705. You can see an image here.
- Fort Nisqually Living History Museum – Historic Site
- Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium – 5400 North Pearl Street, Tacoma, WA 98407 – Phone: 253-591-5337. The Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium is a combined zoo and aquarium
- Steilacoom Historical Museum -1801 Rainier St, Steilacoom, WA 98388 – Phone: 253-584-4133
- Tacoma Art Museum – 1701 Pacific Avenue, Tacoma, WA 98402. Phone: 253-272-4258
- Washington State History Museum – 1911 Pacific Ave, Tacoma, WA 98402. Phone: 253-272-3500
- Emerald Queen Casino
- GoNorthwest.com – Tacoma
Tacoma Regional Convention & Visitor Bureau
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport – Sea-Tac Airport website.
- Airport Parking Savings – Save up to 66% off as compared to parking at the airport!
- Pierce County Transit
- Tacoma Light Link Rail – The first light rail in Washington State
- In downtown you can find taxis at the following taxi stands:
- Greyhound Bus Station, 511 Puyallup Ave.
- On S. 10th St. and Pacific Avenue
- Hotel Murano, 1320 Broadway Plaza
- Swiss Tavern, 904 Jefferson St.
Or request a taxi directly from King Cab Taxi. Phone: 888-904-7770.
Lodging and Hotels in Tacoma Washington
Popular Tour Itineraries Including Tacoma
Battle of the Washington Volcanoes Itinerary
Navigating the Natural Wonders of Washington State