The Bavarian Village of Leavenworth Washington
Once a logging town, Leavenworth Washington was transformed into a Bavarian Village in the 1960’s, as authentic and delightful as many in the Alps. The town has become one of the main tour attractions in the State with quality Festivals, Shows, Sightseeing, and Activities throughout the year.
Not only is Leavenworth famous as a Bavarian themed village, but it is famous among adventure seekers including rock climbers and mountain bikers around Washington.
Enjoy this video to savor a little flavor of the combination of activities and Bavarian charm published on Aug 12, 2015.
There are an array of different elements and cultures that come together and unify to make Leavenworth the unique community that it is. Every day each corner of Leavenworth comes to life as people engage in an abundance of activities. From rigorous outdoor ventures, to relaxing experiences with loved ones, the humble village nestled between rivers and mountains is the perfect place to make happy memories that will never be forgotten.
Please enjoy “On Any Given Day” by Voortex Productions – a small glimpse into what happens day in and day out in Leavenworth, Washington. It’s the place that Washington goes to relax.
Location of Leavenworth Washington
Leavenworth is a located in the heart of Washington approximately 2.5 hours from Seattle. While touring the rest of the Scenic Cascade Mountain range, you will find Leavenworth to be a delightful multi-day stop on any tour. With an incredible variety of festivals and events, and with activities and sightseeing that will make you want to stay longer, you’ll see why Leavenworth has been visited by over a third of the residents of Washington.
Boasting over two million visitors each year, there is an established business base of restaurants, accommodations, and entertainment for tours and individuals alike.
Hundreds of hand painted murals decorate ornately finished Bavarian theme buildings, and hundreds of flower boxes and baskets fill the town with color from early spring through the fall. Don’t be surprised to see authentically garbed shopkeepers or to hear “oompa” music in the park!
Outdoor theater productions are shown through the summer and indoor productions play in November and December.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of traditional Germany though the year and especially during festivals. From Sausages and Sauerkraut to Snitzel and Pork Hocks, you can find fantastic food and entertainment in the restaurants. If you need a special gift or great memento, you can shop for Christmas ornaments, hand made wooden toys, traditional music boxes and cuckoo clocks, and of course imported beer steins and Bavarian clothing. Be sure to spend time at a local fruit market to see fresh fruits, jellies, jams, and other preserves. Leavenworth’s Christmas Lighting Festival is one of the main winter events in Washington State.
Leavenworth Washington’s renowned festivals and events include the following.
- Leavenworth Village of Lights – December & January
- Ice Fest – January
- Fasching – February/March
- Bavarian Maifest – May
- Leavenworth Spring Bird Fest – May
- Leavenworth Village Art in the Park – May through mid-October
- Wenatchee Riverfest – May
- Leavenworth Wine Walk – A Wine Tasting Event – Stroll the Galleries and Taste the Wine!
- Leavenworth International Accordion Celebration – June
- Leavenworth Summer Theater – July through August and December
- Kinderfest and Old Fashioned Forth of July – July
- Wenatchee River Bluegrass Festival
- Bavarian Quilt Show – September
- Wenatchee River Salmon Festival – September
- Washington State Autumn Leaf Festival – September
- Leavenworth Oktoberfest in Wenatchee – First 3 weekends in October
- LEAVENWORTH, WA – July 11, 2022 – The City of Leavenworth today announced details about Oktoberfest 2022, taking place in downtown Leavenworth, WA on Sept 30-Oct 1, Oct 7-8, and Oct 14-15. It should be noted that the Oktoberfest celebration in downtown Leavenworth is unrelated to any Oktoberfest events at the Town Toyota Center in Wenatchee. Oktoberfest in the City of Leavenworth is a tradition that we want to continue, and protect, for our entire community and visitors.As requested by the City in the new terms and conditions for the event, the celebration will look somewhat different than in years past. The festival area will be more spread out, with events taking place in the Festhalle, Front Street Park, and other areas downtown. Local breweries will be featured alongside traditional German beers (including a local brewery collaboration festival beer!) at the beer gardens, and there will be more family friendly events, including a Kinderplatz with a root beer garden.“Our goal is to include the entire town in the festivities and make sure it’s fun and a win-win for everyone – local businesses, residents, and guests alike,” said Mayor Carl Florea, reiterating that “there will be beer gardens, and the tradition of cheers-ing with beer steins will continue.”
- Leavenworth Christkindlmarkt – November
- Leavenworth Christmas Lighting Festival – First 3 weekends of December
Please visit the Leavenworth Chamber of Commerce web site www.leavenworth.org
Leavenworth Washington Wines
A new wine region has appeared among the rivers, lakes, and mountains of North Central Washington. Bordered by the towering Cascade Mountains on the west and sagebrush covered hills on the east, vineyards and their attendant wineries are rapidly appearing throughout the area. The winemakers of this area have banded together in the belief that the influence of the Cascade Mountains and the broad rivers and lakes makes the region unique among Washington State’s wine growing areas. In recognition of this they are calling the area the Columbia Cascade region. Plan your wine tasting trip to Leavenworth and Chelan
Leavenworth Washington Attractions
- Ohme Gardens
- Washington Apple Commission
- Osprey Rafting
- World Famous Leavenworth Nutcracker Museum
- Wenatchee Valley Museum
- Smallwood’s Harvest on Facebook
- Cashmere – Candy & Pioneer Village
- GoNorthwest.com – Leavenworth
- River Recreation
- Alpine Spa Massage and Wellness
- Stevens Pass Mountain Resort: Ski – Board – Bike – also see Northwest Ski Areas map
- Tour The Cascade Loop
- Columbia Cascade Wines and Wineries
- Cascade Loop Great Washington State Birding Trail
- Leavenworth Washington Birding Guide to go with the State Birding Trail
- King Ludwigs Restaurant
- J.J. Hills Fresh Grill Restaurant
- See Washington State Tours full restaurant guide for Leavenworth with over 50 restaurants and eateries
Lodging and Hotels in Leavenworth Washington
- Kahler Mountain Club 3.5 Star
- Mountain Springs Lodge
- Pine River Ranch Bed and Breakfast 3.5 Star
- Icicle Village Resort Icicle Inn Hotel & Aspen Suites Condominiums 3.5 Star
- Icicle Inn
- Bavarian Lodge 3.5 Star
- Alpine Rivers Inn 2.5 Star
Alpen Rose Inn 3 Star
Obertal Inn 2 Star
Blackbird Lodge 2.5 Star
Fairbridge Inn & Suites 2 Star
Driving Directions to Leavenworth Washington
Driving to Leavenworth from Seattle via Interstate 90
Travel east on Interstate 90 past Cle Elum. Take the Wenatchee exit (milepost 85). Go east on State Rt. 970 for 11.9 miles to US 97. Follow Highway 97 north over Blewett Pass for 35 miles to the junction of Highway 2. Turn left and travel west on Highway 2 for 4 miles to Leavenworth.
Driving to Leavenworth from Seattle via Highway 2
Travel north on Interstate 405 from Seattle/Bellevue to Bothell where it meets Highway 522 east to Monroe. Head east on Highway 2 for 85 miles over Stevens Pass to the west boundary of Leavenworth.
Driving to Leavenworth from Spokane via Interstate 90
Travel west on Interstate 90 to the junction of Highway 281 near George. Travel north on Highway 281 to Quincy. Turn left on Highway 28 and travel west to Wenatchee to Highway 2. Stay on Highway 2 headed west to Leavenworth.
Driving to Leavenworth from Portland Oregon
Take I-5 north to Seattle. Go east on I-90 over Snoqualmie Pass. Past Cle-Elum follow signs to US-97 and Wenatchee over Blewett Pass. Turn left on Hwy 2 and travel 5 miles to Leavenworth.
Mileage Chart To Leavenworth Washington
- Wenatchee: 25
- Seattle: 120
- Bellevue: 129
- Tacoma: 148
- Bellingham: 159
- Tri Cities: 160
- Spokane: 190
- Vancouver B.C.: 215
- Portland, OR: 275