Bellingham Washington Activities and Recreation Guide
Visit Bellingham Washington to enjoy much of what Whatcom County has to offer. Known for it’s penchant for beer, Bellingham has a reputation for being, shall we say, “selective” when it comes to beer choices! You will find excellent accommodations for your stay, savory dining and delectable desserts, as well as shopping, entertainment, and activities to fill your days. See Bellingham Webcams for current weather conditions.
Part of Whatcom County, Bellingham is an awesome place for outdoor adventure. You’ll find biking, hiking, parks to play in, lakes for paddling, great golfing at beautiful golf courses, all framed between the Cascade Mountains and waters of Puget Sound.
Enjoy “A Day in Bellingham” from local realtor Briddick Webb.
Shopping in Bellingham Washington
With Canada so close to the north Bellingham has become a major international shopping destination.
The largest shopping mall in Bellingham is Bellis Fair located to the north. Many large chain stores are popular including Costco, Wallmart, Winco, and many more. Bellingham is also home to many boutique shops that offer a custom experience.
The Flavor of Bellingham Washington
In Bellingham plan to visit the Radio Museum for a step back through the history of radio. Visit the Bellingham Museum to learn more about Whatcom County and the history of Bellingham.
- Bellingham/ Whatcom County CVB
- Pacific Northwest Trail
- Mount Baker Ski Area – also see Northwest Ski Areas map
- Where to Stay at Mount Baker
- Where to Eat at Mount Baker
- Mount Baker Hiking Club
- Nooksac Nordic Ski Club
- Bellingham Visitors Center
- Bellingham Chamber & Ski to Sea Information
- Kayak Enthusiasts
- American Alpine Institute
- Mt Baker Bike Club
- Bellingham Mountain Biking
- See photo journal of Artist Point and Table Mountain at the end of the Mount Baker Highway.
Bellingham Washington Beer
- World renowned Boundary Bay Brewery
- Fairhaven’s Archer Ale House
- Aslan Brewing Co. – Fresh new menu
- Chuckanut Brewery and Kitchen – Great Rubens
- Kulshan Brewing Company –
- North Fork Brewery – AKA “the Beer Shrine” – On the way to Mount Baker and perhaps the best pizza in Whatcom County. See more places to eat on the way to Mount Baker.
- Visit the Bellingham Tap Trail website for stories and beer reviews
Best Restaurants Bellingham Washington
- LA FiAMMA Wood Fire Pizza
- Pure Bliss Desserts – locally sourced farm fresh organic
- Jalapenos Restaurants – 3 locations plus catering
- Lunas Bistro – and Lunas Facebook page
- The following restaurants near Bellingham Washington offer fresh Farm to Table cuisine:
- The Fork at Agate Bay – East of Lake Whatcom
- The Willows Inn – Lummi Island
- Pierside Kitchen Restaurant at Resort Semiahmoo – Blaine / Birch Bay
Parks and Leisure
Galbraith Mountain offers many miles of trails for mountain biking and Trail runners. Hikers enjoy views overlooking Bellingham all the way to the Canadian Coastal Mountain range.
Larrabee State Park just to the south of Bellingham is located directly on the coast right off Chuckanut Drive. Laraby offers beach walking, picnicking, and hiking. It is a base to hiking and exploring the Chuckanut Mountain trails.
South Lake Whatcom around the east side of Lake Whatcom from downtown Bellingham offers both good hiking and mountain biking trails as well as swimming in the lake. Plan to stop at The Fork at Agate Bay on your drive to or from the park for a tasty beverage and farm to table dining at a reasonable price.
Fairhaven Park is located next to Edgemoor just off Chuckanut Drive. There are tennis courts and basketball as well as a playground for childeren. You’ll also find two shelters and a pavilion.
Post Point Park in Fairhaven is located by the Post Point treatment plant and offers gravel trails playing field, and a salt water lagoon. It is also an off-leash dog area.
Marine Park overlooks Bellingham Bay and offers a grassy area and shelter as well as beach access.
The Interurban Trail runs through many areas of Bellingham Washington and provides compacted gravel trails for joggers and walkers as well as for cyclists. It is a great place to walk your dogs. The main trail runs about 6 and a half miles between Fairhaven to Larrabee State Park.
Lodging and Accommodations – Hotels in Bellingham Washington
- Hotel Bellwether
- Chrysalis Inn
- Marriott SpringHill Suites
- Four Points Bellingham Hotel & Conference Center – formerly Lakeway Inn
- BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn
- Fairhaven Village Inn
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott
- The Willows Inn – Lummi Island
- Silver Reef Casino – Ferndale
- Tree Frog Night Inn – Bellingham’s Premier Luxurious, Forest Eco-Inn
- Semiahmoo Resort – in nearby Blaine