Portland Oregon – Just to the South of Washington State
Portland Oregon is situated just across the Columbia River from Vancouver Washington. As part of travel and tour planning into Washington State visitors often pass through Portland or even plan to tour the city.
Portland was incorporated in 1851 near the end of the Oregon Trail. Portland is located between the Pacific Ocean and the Cascade Mountains in the Willamette Valley region of the Pacific Northwest. Summer time temperatures are generally warm with cooler temperatures in the winter.
City of Roses
Portland is know as the “City of Roses” due to the fact that the climate is perfect for cultivating roses. Plan on visiting the International Rose Test Garden in Washington Park. You’ll have the chance to see over 7,000 rose plants of approximately 550 varieties. The season to see the roses bloom runs from April through October. The peak of the rose season is variable based on the weather but is normally in June.
Shopping in Portland Oregon
- Downtown Portland
- Nob Hill (NW 21st & 23rd Avenues)
- Pearl District
- Hawthorne Avenue for vintage apparel
- Lloyd District.
- Lloyd Center
- Washington Square
- Clackamas Town Center
- Westfield Vancouver
- Bridgeport Village
- Pioneer Place
- Portland Saturday Market from March through Christmas.
Portland Oregon Attractions
- International Rose Test Garden in Washington Park – 400 SW Kingston Ave, Portland, OR 97205. Phone: 503-823-3636
- Portland Art Museum – 1219 SW Park Ave, Portland, OR 97205. Phone: 503-226-2811
- Oregon Museum of Science and Industry – 1945 SE Water Ave, Portland, OR 97214. Phone: 503-797-4000
- Powell’s City of Books – 1005 W Burnside St, Portland, OR 97209. Phone: 503-228-4651
- Portland Rose Festival – End of May to the first week of June
- Washington Park – home to the following Portland attractions:
- Portland International Beerfest – June – Portland IS home to over 50 breweries…
- Mount Hood Meadows Ski Resort – just 90 minutes from Portland
Best Restaurants Portland Oregon
- Norma’s Kitchen – Southern Style Cajun Kitchen – 12010 N Jantzen Dr, Portland, OR 97217. (503) 240-3447
Getting Around Portland Oregon
- Ride the Portland Max Light Rail
- Portland WES Commuter Rail
- Portland Bus Lines
- Portland Aerial Tram – an aerial cableway used to connect the South Waterfront district with Oregon Health and Science University on Marquam Hill above. The cableway is two-thirds of one mile long.
- Portland Streetcar – serves areas surrounding downtown Portland. The 3.9-mile NS Line runs from Northwest Portland to the South Waterfront via Downtown and the Pearl District. The Loop Service runs from Downtown to the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry via the Pearl District, the Broadway Bridge across Willamette River, the Lloyd District, and the Central Eastside Industrial District on a 3.3 mile route.
Lodging and Accommodations – Hotels in Portland Oregon
- Hilton Portland & Executive Tower 1.800.HILTONS or 503.226.1611 – Located in the heart of downtown and within blocks of many Portland Rose Festival event venues, the Hilton Portland & Executive Tower is a great place to stay for your next visit to Portland. Hilton’s central location is within blocks of the city’s best restaurants and shopping.
- Hotel Rose 866.866.7977 or 503.221.0711 Situated directly across from CityFair and Tom McCall Waterfront Park, guests enjoy free WiFi, complimentary loaner bikes, a daily cupcake and coffee reception and ridiculously comfortable beds. A proud piece of Pineapple Hospitality.
- Best Western Plus Northwind Inn & Suites, Tigard 503.431.2100
- The Benson Hotel 1.888.523.6766 Established in 1913, the AAA Four-Diamond historic Benson Hotel offers a great downtown location with two restaurants & bars, room service, fitness room and business center.
- Best Western Inn at the Meadows 1.855.286.9600
- Hotel Eastlund 503.235.2100 A new luxury boutique hotel in downtown Portland’s thriving Eastside.
- Hotel Modera 1.877.484.1084 or 503.484.1084
- Quality Inn 1.877.424.6423 or 503.907.1777
- Residence Inn by Marriott – Portland Downtown at Riverplace 1.800.331.3131 or 503.552.9500
- River’s Edge Hotel & Spa 1.888.556.4402 or 503.802.5800
- Monarch Hotel & Conference Center 1.800.492.8700 or 503.652.1515
Portland Contacts for Transportation And Tours
- Portland International Airport – Find traveler updates, passenger services, dining options and more at the Portland International Airport website. 7000 NE Airport Way, Portland, OR 97218. Phone: 503-460-4234
- Airport Parking Savings – Save up to 66% off as compared to parking at the airport!
- Americas Hub World Tours
Specializing in unique travel experiences in the Pacific Northwest: Oregon, Washington, Northern California and beyond. From a selection of package excursion including hotels, transportation and tour activities to group planning, conference and conventions, hiking and more. Services and transportation resources range from sprinter passenger vans to buses, private car VIP excursions, step on guide services, language services and working with key partners throughout the US.